Did you guys know I like to thrift? Yep, ever since college when I found the cutest mirror for my first off campus home for like $2 bucks I was hooked. I couldn't believe how much I could get for such little cash. Then when I moved to KC and my husband and I bought our first home I loved thrifting even more. And while I hunted for home decor I slowly started to look through the clothing racks, of course. I have some seriously great pieces that didn't look like much on the hanger but on were totally awesome! One of my favorite finds ever is a fuchsia midi skirt. It's some grandma brand (pretty typical when thrifting, am I right!?) with pleats and pockets, has elastic in the back and still fits this growing belly. Sounds great right!? Well, that's why it's so awesome to thrift, it's so fulfilling when you dig and sort through all the pieces to find something so special.
Favorite pieces to thrift for:
1. Midi skirts
2. Jackets and Blazers
3. Button down shirts
4. Boyfriend jeans (men's)
Tips for thrifting:
1. Go thrifting with at least 3 - 5 items on your wish list.
2. Make sure you've got time to hunt. As rushing this process is silly and you probably will have a hard time finding anything if you're in a rush.
3. Focus on your wish list items when you are shopping as it will help you not get too overwhelmed.
4. Know what's in your wardrobe, and search for items that have a similar cut and fit. As you know those items will look great on you! Just be sure to grab items you don't already own :)
5. Keep an open mind too. You might find that piece of clothing that you'll wear every week. So just try it on and give it a whirl.
Another great part about thrifting is the fact that it helps our environment by recycling perfectly good items instead of just tossing them in the trash! Savers is challenging people to ‘Give a Sh!rt’ about our clothing footprint by making their next new t-shirt a thrifted one, and donating items they no longer need rather than throwing them in the garbage. Each year, people consume over 80 billion pieces of clothing, causing the clothing industry to become one of the world’s biggest polluters. Isn't that crazy!? I had no idea!
So now that you know, what are you inspired to thrift for? This coming Wednesday is National Thrift Shop day, did you know that!? I love that there is a day to highlight this cause! Be sure to follow the Savers #igiveashirt to see how everyone is styling their thrifted pieces on August, 17th!
*Thank you to Savers for partnering with me on this post.